Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Mommy Guilt :(

Let's start at the beginning....

Starting in second grade you can "run" for Student Council.  You bring home a piece of paper for your parent(s) to sign saying that you can run for StuCo.  You can make a poster and hang it up and place your name on a ballot for class representative.  Last year Madi ran and won for her class.  We didn't make a sign, mainly because I didn't know you could/should.  So this year when she told me she wanted to run for class rep again & told me she wanted to make a sign, I told her I would help.  We made a super cute sign that said "Smarties" will vote for Madi.  She had a really big smartie candy where the word "Smarties" was and then taped smarties all over the poster & put a picture of herself on there.  It was really cute.  She took smarties to school with her to pass out to her class to make the sign complete. . . . small (turns out to be HUGE) problem, you aren't allowed to give anything away, because it's not fair to everyone.  Madi came home from school and told me that she got to hang her sign up but didn't get to pass out the candy because her teacher told her it wouldn't be fair, but that she could put the candy in  her class cubbies.  I told her that was ok because people were going to vote for who they want whether they give them something or make a sign, after all, she did win last year and hadn't done anything.  She said yea, well so & so told everyone they were from her.  I told her not to worry about it, everything would work out ok.  Well, here's where the mommy guilt comes in . . . 

I got a call this morning from one of the Student Council teacher reps.  Apparently that note that I signed saying Madi could run for StuCo rep also stated that they were not allowed to give anything away.  Unfortunately, I didn't read the whole note.  I think I read about the first paragraph and signed away.  She was on StuCo last year, what could it say that I didn't already know?!  UGH!  FAIL.  The teacher said that a parent or two (I'm thinking one, and one in particular) called and brought it to her attention and said that it wasn't fair that Madi was allowed to give something away.  {A SMARTIE} I'm not trying to act like it wasn't right, but come on, it wasn't like it was anything crazy.  The teacher was really nice and said that she didn't want to do it, but that Madi would have to be disqualified from running.  She hated that it was Madi because she was such a great rep last year, she came to every meeting and helped with each event and is such a great girl.  I told her it was completely my fault and felt terrible.  She said if I wanted she would talk to Madi about it, I told her no, I would talk to her after school today and she would be ok.  She told me that she really hopes that Madi decides to run again next year and kept saying again how great she was.  I know she's great, she's amazing and it's going to KILL me to tell her this.  I kept saying ok, I understood and that I would discuss it with her, we finally got off the phone and out came the tears.  I felt (feel) soooo bad!  But because my Madi Grace IS so amazing, she took it like a champ!  She was upset, of course, but she said I bet I know which mom it was, ugh.  I gave her a bunch of hugs and kisses hoping her feeling better would make me feel better, it really didn't, I still feel HORRIBLE!  We were at the St. Joe mall after Boston's game tonight and I told her that I was really proud of her, she took a bad situation and didn't let it keep her down all night, she smiled, I told her, you're a tough cookie, you're not gonna let it ruin your night and bother you, you're gonna push past and keep on movin, she smiled and said yep!

Anyway, she told me she still loves me and so I guess I will try to let this not ruin my night (week) too, although it did ruin my day, it consumed me all day.  I didn't know how I was going to bust this info out on my innocent little gal, but like I said, she's a tough cookie and said she will try again next year.  The thing that did break my heart was her telling me that she didn't care if she won, but she at least wanted to try.

I love you MadiGrace, keep up with that positive attitude, you could teach me a thing or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment